November 2, 2013

Treasures Forgotten

We have finished working at my MIL's house cleaning out a life's accumulation and came upon a few very interesting things we could not part with.

We were so surprised when we opened my FIL's desk to find his aviator sunglasses he wore in WWII ~ it was sad, exciting and interesting ~ such an array of emotions.


My husband recalled him being in the War when he was very little and what it was like having him gone.  We see his name stamped in the top of the case ~ Morris T.W. making is so much more real and personal.


We talked about the things he must have seen through these glasses, flying missions from Hawaii protecting our Country.


We saw the evidence of what the case had been through during War and then talked about the unseen wear it takes on a soldier.

We are proud of Thomas W. Morris and his service to our Country and are so thankful to have this piece of his life with us as a remembrance of is commitment to defend our freedom.

I never had the opportunity to meet my FIL, but I know I would have loved him not only for being the father of my husband, but for his love of the Country I call home.

God Bless America!

Judi


6 comments:

  1. What a cool and exciting find!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was Kathy and will be cherished forever!! Thanks for stopping for a visit!!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic treasure, Judi! One of my brothers has my dad's purple heart (he lost a leg while serving in the Army in WWII), but talking about the war experience was NEVER something my father (or mother, for that matter) did afterward. And now, we know, many of those brave warriors also suffered PTSD, but they just sucked it up and carried on, as best they could.

    It's good to hear from you again - hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Rita, and thankfully, there is so much more awareness today ~ so glad you stopped by, it's great to hear from you ~ I've finally found some "free" time but won't last as the holiday creep closer!! LOL Thanks for your nice comment.

      Delete
  3. There are just certain things that have to be kept, that's a very special treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree Jill ~ we just felt it was meant to be that we found them, rather than accidentally thrown in the trash ~ thanks for peeking in on me too :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment ~ It sure makes me smile! Judi