September 4, 2013

Shoo Fly ~ And I Don't Mean Pie

I've  loved vintage drawers long before they became popular ~ I've used them to hold many things over the years and when I was cleaning out "junque" from my Aunt and Uncles house, there was this old "drawer" that was filled with rusty old tools, screws and parts and pieces of stuff.  My uncle had it sitting on a shelf at his work bench and I wanted the drawer and just dumped everything else in the trash.

When I went to put it in our van, I noticed something written on the side but couldn't quite tell what it said, so I brought it home and was finally able to get a good look at what it said on both sides.

It turns out to be more of an old box, but since re-purposing is not new, my uncle or someone, turned the box into a drawer by attaching a door latch for use as a handle.  It was painted white all over but the front and handle were green so ...  I need to remember to start to take a before picture of the projects I'm working on!

I painted a fresh new coat of white paint over the all of the letters and dry brushed all around the letters to make the wording more readable ~ put a few little button feet on so it doesn't just sit on the floor and now it's ready to be packed away until I move and then I will decide what to use it for ...

I just love it ~ mostly because my uncle first re-purposed it probably 60 or more years ago ~ and now, it's being re-purposed again!







So there's my new old re-purposed box turned drawer ~

It says ~ 

Shoo~Fly
For Keeping Flies And Many Other Insects
Off Of Animals
Shoo~Fly M'F'G Co.

I couldn't find any information on the company and I'm guessing this box to be at least 100 years old!

Thanks for visiting ~ Judi

5 comments:

  1. Love the drawer. Would love to know the history. Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know too! I really enjoy researching old stuff and learning new things!!

      Delete
  2. I love it when we can use something that someone before us thought was special!! Love how you cleaned it up so you could read the lettering on the side!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your drawer, Judi!! Since my Wysocki print called "Remington the Horticulturist" is packed away I can't go look...but I think that there was a can marked "Soo Fly" sitting on the garden bench near the cat in the painting. It just seems so familiar. ;)
    You are going to have so much fun with that little drawer....SOON!!! I can't wait 'til you find your sweet spot at the seashore. ;) [hugs]

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome find in your Uncle's house! The name Shoo~Fly makes me laugh...how logical to name something that describes it's specific purpose...they were pretty smart way back when. Can't wait to hear what you do with it in your new home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment ~ It sure makes me smile! Judi